Saturday 28 February 2009

Nice guys still exist

My weird little house comes with a flat roof, which I didn't realise wasn't ideal when I bought the place. After the snow in Feb, and the non-stop rain for weeks afterwards, it sprung a little leak. While I quite like a water feature, it didn't seem exactly ideal to have one at the top of the stairs, so clearly something needed to be done.

I contemplated going up through the skylight, but as it is over the top of the stairwell this seemed tricky. Getting up onto the roof would probably have been easy enough; it was the dismount that would almost certainly have gone wrong, and I had a mental picture of myself stuck up on the roof gazing down at a ladder that had fallen over and realising my mobile phone was in the kitchen. And a thunderstorm rolling in.

However, I bought the rubber paint that is supposed to work under any weather conditions and never crack blah blah blah. And sat and looked at it for a while. Since it hasn't rained since, I've lacked the motivation to do anything further.

Then today I saw a large ladder being hoisted up outside my front windows. At first I was a bit cranky - exactly who was trying to get onto my roof, and why? After charging outside to confront the would-be burglar, and then finding out he was fixing next door's aerial, it finally dawned on me that maybe he could have a look at the leak while he was up there.

Not only did he agree immediately, and take the paint and brush up with him, he also found the problem immediately, AND took before and after photos of the repair to show me! And didn't ask for a cent (I slipped him 20 quid anyway).

I had no idea people this helpful still existed, and have been walking round with a huge smile on my face ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment